Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Retaining, rethinking

So it's that time of year, time to make a decision on where Elias will land next year. I know they are going to pass him out of 1st Grade but not 100% sure that will be okay with us.

Hubs and I have had many discussions on Eli and his status next year. We almost are ready to send him along to 2nd grade but the fact that his IEP and extra help plan ONLY got enacted about 2 months ago is holding us back.

He is making some real progress filling those gaps that were glaringly apparent when we all discussed the goals for his IEP...but I think about how much MORE they could have closed if only it'd been a FULL YEAR under the plan and I pause to consider. I think it would benefit him...and if we send him along it seems like tho his IEP would still be there, he'd now have the gaps remaining from THIS year...and adding IN the ones still to come because the cirriculum builds upon itself.


Lily's year has been all about that TAKS test and she looks ready to ace that thing...but I honestlly cannot see Eli being as comfortable or ready if we send him on now.

I called the Counselor today and she said she'd discuss it with She Who, and his Special Ed teachers to get their thoughts...and they'd call me back to discuss it. It's completely up to us but I would like to hear what they have to say since they know him from a "school" point of view likely more than I do.


Just want to get this right, make sure we give him every chance. I know retaining him now in 1st will carry a lot less stigma than him getting held due to that TAKS test in 3rd...where the kids are much older and quite a bit crueler from what Lily tells me. He relates better to younger kids anyways...and he will ONLY be turning 7 come August just before the 2nd Grade year starts...so he'd hardly be older if at all, than the kids entering 1st.

I think at this point, the best thing would be to give him that extra year NOW...as opposed to regretting not doing it. He will NOT be happy because he is already talking about 2nd Grade...not sure how I will handle that part of things, but I guess we will deal when it happens.

IN OTHER NEWS! My dearest husband dropped the news today that the Browns have a game in New Orleans right on our ANNIVERSARY WEEKEND! I mean how big a coinky-dink is that?? We must go...you simply do not ignore things like that LOL. I know they'll get CREAMED but it will still be fun...I am really looking forward to the trip. It was hard to pick between Las Vegas and Nawlins but I am really excited about headed to the Big Easy now.

The kittens are growing too fast! But that's how babies are..*sigh*

Enjoy your Wednesday, all!

No comments:

Post a Comment